Summer is a great time for kids to read new books. To help your kids get started on their summer reading journey, we’ve compiled a list of 10 fun fiction book recommendations from a variety of authors and genres for students entering 1st through 3rd grade.
1) We Are In a Book by Mo Willems: This book follows Gerald and Piggie as they realize they are in a storybook. Filled with vocabulary perfect for newer readers, the book is a great read for students at the 1st-grade reading level.
Lexile Level: 200L
2) This is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from Around the World by Matt Lamothe: This is How We Do It follows one day in the lives of seven kids from countries including Italy, Japan, Iran, India, Peru, Uganda, and Russia. The book is an exciting read for students at the 3rd-grade reading level.
Lexile Level: NC 620L
3) The Girl with Big, Big Questions by Britney Winn Lee: An unique, challenging read that challenges kids to ask tough questions about the world. This book is a fun and thought-provoking read for students at a 3rd-grade reading level.
Lexile Level: AD 660L
4) Simon and Chester Super Detectives by Cale Atkinson: A perfect read for mystery lovers, Simon and Chester Super Detectives follows a ghost and a kid who team up to solve mysteries. Atkinson’s 2021 book is a great read for students at the 2nd or 3rd-grade reading level.
Lexile Level: GN 530L
5) Good Dog series by Cam Higgins: This book series follows the rambunctious puppy Bo Davis as he goes on fun little adventures with his friends around chicken coops, horse stalls, and beyond. This fun series is a great read for any students from a 1st through 3rd-grade reading level.
Lexile Level Range: 680L
6) The Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne: One of my favorite series from my elementary school days, the Magic Treehouse series follows two young kids, Jack and Annie on exciting adventures across time and space. From ghosthunting in Nepal to exploring the prehistoric Cretaceous period, Jack and Annie do it all. This series is a great read for readers in 2nd through 3rd grade.
Lexile Level Range: 200L - 500L
7) The Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene: Also one of my favorite book series from my elementary days, The Nancy Drew mystery series follows teenage detective Nancy Drew as she solves mysteries. The series is perfect for readers in 3rd grade or up.
Lexile Level Range: 600 - 810L
8) Stuart Little by EB White: Stuart Little tells the story of a young, adventurous mouse from New York as he navigates the challenges of growing up. This classic is a fun read for students in 3rd grade and up. The book may be a little challenging, so reading it with a parent may be helpful for younger readers.
Lexile Level: 920L
9) The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo: The Tale of Despereaux follows a brave mouse, Princess Pea, and a rat as they journey through dungeons and castles. The exciting book is a great read for students in grade levels 3rd and up.
Lexile Level: 670L
10) Pete the Cat series by James Dean: This early reader series follows the intrepid cat Pete on various adventures. Pete the Cat is perfect for young 1st-grade readers still trying to get a grip on their short and long vowel sounds.
Lexile Level Range: 120L - 290L
We hope these book recommendations inspire your young writers to begin their summer reading journey!